- Things to do
- Reviews (640)
From the moment you set foot on the 20-acre slice of paradise we call home, you’ll be transported away from the hustle and bustle of the mainland into a world of laid-back luxury that’s been delighting visitors since the 1960’s. Comprising 72 lavishly appointed rooms and suites, two picturesque beaches and an assortment of exceptional, all-inclusive amenities, Curtain Bluff invites you to unwind, indulge, explore, and above all, make unforgettable memories on a one-of-a-kind Caribbean escape.
Many resorts have extraordinary facilities, while others are small and personable. Some are sophisticated; others are casual and relaxing. Some are luxurious; others offer outstanding value. The rarest find of all is the resort that combines all these qualities.
Welcome to Curtain Bluff, Antigua, consistently ranked among the finest resorts and tennis centres in the world. A perfect destination for tennis holidays, weddings, family gatherings and spa holidays.
Flanked by water on both sides, Curtain Bluff sits on a rocky promontory (bluff) that juts into the sea between two beautiful beaches. One is calm, ideal for swimming and watersports; the other beach is washed by ocean surf.
72 rooms and suites, all with staggering seascape views, are spread out along the Surf Beach and up the bluff. There are two restaurants: the open-walled Tamarind Tree serving breakfasts and candle-lit dinners, and The Sea Grape restaurant where barefoot casual lunches and romantic dinners are enjoyed one step from the sand and a few feet from the water’s edge.
With the exception of a few above-and-beyond luxuries (Cuban cigars, vintage wines, spa treatments), everything is included in the room rate, making it one of the best values in the Caribbean.
- Curtain Bluff has the best service in the Caribbean according to readers of Travel + Leisure magazine. The 2012 World's Best Service survey in the magazine's "Hotels" issue (June, 2012).
- Curtain Bluff goes Platinum. To have Platinum status, a resort must be voted on to Condé Nast Traveler's Gold List (the magazine's list of the 500 finest hotels and resorts in the world) for the last five years.
- The top resort in Antigua and one of the top 10 resorts in the Caribbean by readers of Travel + Leisure magazine. World's Best Awards July 2011.
- The four best hotels for tennis lovers according to the Daily Telegraph (June 11, 2011).
- Curtain Bluff was ranked #4 in the Caribbean and is the only hotel in Antigua to make the list praised by Travel + Leisure’s "Hotel Issue" (June, 2011) to handful of hotels for having the "World’s Best Service".
- Named as one of the "World’s Best Hotels" in the January 2011 issue of Travel + Leisure (the only hotel in Antigua to make the list).
- Named "Most Excellent Eco Resort 2011 in the Atlantic, Caribbean and Pacific" by Condé Nast Johansens, the international luxury hotel guide publisher. December 2010.
- Ranked #2 Resort in the Caribbean / #1 Resort in Antigua by Condé Nast Traveler Readers Choice Awards. November 2009 & 2008.
- Ranked one of the World’s Best All‐Inclusive Resort by Away.com. September 2009.
- Ranked one of the 2008 Hot Spas by Condé Nast Traveler Hot List. May 2008.
Activities included in the room rate
- All watersports facilities and activities including swimming pool, twice daily snorkeling trips to Cades Reef, scuba diving (for Certified Divers only), waterskiing, wake-boarding, kayaking, Windsurfing, Hobie-cats
- All land-based activities including tennis, squash, bocce, shuffleboard, basketball, golf (putting green)
- Exercise facilities, fully equipped exercise room
- Aerobics classes, Yoga and Pilates
- Golf Putting Green and equipment
- Swimming pool (with two 75-foot lap lanes)
- Waterskiing and wakeboarding (speedboat, equipment and instruction)
- Beach toys (Hobie Cats, paddleboats, kayaks and Windsurfers)
- Snorkel equipment (fins, mask and snorkel) and two daily reef trips
- Beach chairs, hammocks and sun floats
- Boat tubing (Super Mable)
- Wine Tasting, Cooking classes & Gastonomy
Wine tasting: Curtain Bluff has one of the finest wine cellars in the Caribbean, with over 25,000 bottles priced between $US 40 and $US 2,000. Over the past year we have expanded our subterranean cellar and added a tasting area so guests can enjoy the wines in context. Tastings take place in the cellar on Friday afternoons ($US 70 per person).
Carribean Cooking Class: Every Tuesday morning our Executive Chef, Christophe Blatz, and his award-winning chefs, Burdette “Eggs” Martin and Mark Smith, lead hands-on cooking classes (limited to 10 people or less). Explaining such culinary creations as lobster risotto or red snapper on a bed of local vegetables in a light reduction broth, the classes cost $US 70 and include lunch and a specially selected bottle of wine from our cellar.
Just a few minutes by taxi from Curtain Bluff, Nelson’s Dockyard in English Harbour is one of the Caribbean’s finest historic sites. Developed as a base for the British Navy in 1725, during the great age of sail, the dockyard was home base for Britain’s Leeward-Islands fleet under the command of Admiral Horatio Nelson, the greatest naval hero in British history. Finally closed in 1889, the dockyard has been completely restored and is now designated as a national park.
If it’s the natural side of Antigua that interests you most, then take an eco-tour with Antigua Paddles, based out of Seatons on the island’s eastern shore. Experienced guides lead you through a half-day filled with kayaking, snorkeling, powerboating and hiking adventures. To get even closer to the local marine life, snorkel Stingray City, a crystal-clear ocean pool protected by its own reef where you can actually swim with the rays.
For an even higher view, take off on a sightseeing tour with Caribbean Helicopters based in the VC Bird International airport. Through the window of your Bell 206 series or Eurocopter AS355, you will see the coastline from deserted offshore islands to the downtown cruise-ship port, and from busy Dickenson Bay to pristine and rugged Half-moon Bay. You can even fly over to nearby Montserrat to look down into the crater of its active volcano and see the charred remains of its now deserted capital city.
Adventure Antigua offers three award-winning, full-day, water-based excursions: “Eli’s Original Eco Tour” and the “Xtreme Circumnav” (on specially-designed power boats); and the “Classic Sailing Tour” on a traditional wooden sloop. All tours have themes of history and ecology; a 5 star rating on Trip Advisor and include snorkelling equipment, lunch and drinks.
The resort’s exceptional facilities include 4 championship hard courts, a fully equipped watersports center (scuba, Windsurfing, paddle-boarding, waterskiing, Hobie Cats and kayaks), a squash court and fitness center. When it’s time to relax, there’s our tranquil spa overlooking the sea, a beachside swimming pool, a beach bar, and hammocks swaying in the shade of coconut palms.
Our Tennis Center has four championship hard courts centered around a Pro Tennis shop.
Many Caribbean resorts can claim a beautiful beach, but how many have two…totally different in mood and only steps from your room?
All of our rooms run along the back of our Surf Beach, an undulating stretch of golden sand shaded by palms. The less used of our two beaches, it’s ideal for quiet contemplation, playing in the surf, and swinging in a hammock to the rhythm of the waves.At the back of the beach, surrounded by palms, lies the swimming pool with its two lap lanes, the basketball half-court, two courts for bocce and two more for shuffleboard.
What makes a great spa? Walk down the winding path past the tennis courts and the lily pond and you will soon find out. And when you walk back down that path an hour or two later, something inside you has changed.
Gymnasium & Classes (all included in the room rate)
Aqua Aerobics, Yoga, Pilates and muscle toning
Our tranquil and intimate 5,000-square-foot spa sits apart from the rest of the resort just feet from the sea. All four treatment rooms have wide-open views over the water to distant Montserrat, Cades Reef, St. Kitts, Nevis and Redonda. Before their treatments, guests sit outside sipping tea brewed from herbs fresh picked from the spa's own garden. Afterwards, they relax on the open verandah, sitting in the Jacuzzi on the cliff edge and snacking on "Spa Bites" like steamed asparagus, fruit and vegetable kebabs.
The CEEBEE KIDS CLUB, that is. Curtain Bluff has launched its first full-time kids camp so our younger guests can make friends and experience the resort on their own terms. Run by a capable and creative team, it's free and available five days a week
Restaurants & Wine Cellar
Curtain Bluff’s award-winning culinary team is led by our French-born Executive Chef, Christophe Blatz. Prior to working at Curtain Bluff, Christophe trained under such notable chefs as Alain Ducasse and cooked in some of the finest Michelin star-rated kitchens in France, including Les Ambassadeurs Restaurant in the Hotel du Crillon in Paris. Curtain Bluff keeps one of the finest cellars in the Caribbean, stocked with over 400 carefully selected wines from 10 countries, all priced between $US 50 and $US 2,000.
Facilities included in the room rate:
- Scuba diving (including all necessary equipment)
- Tennis courts, rackets and balls
- Swimming pool (with two 75-foot lap lanes)
- Waterskiing (speedboat, equipment and instruction)
- Beach toys (Hobie Cats, paddleboats, kayaks and Windsurfers
- Snorkel equipment (fins, mask and snorkel) and reef trips
- Beach chairs, hammocks and sun floats
- Fully equipped fitness center
- Squash court, rackets and balls
- Water aerobics, yoga, muscle toning, and Pilates classes
- Putting green (golf) and equipment
- Bocce and shuffleboard courts
- Half basketball court
- Computer rooms (one for children, one for adults)
- Children’s playground
- A Creative Camp and tennis clinics for kids (specific dates only)
Special Services Upon Request:
- Spa and beauty salon treatments
- Tennis and squash lessons
- Cruises aboard the Sentio, a 50-foot sailing ketch
- Caribbean-cooking and wine-appreciation classes
- Our tennis shop, spa shop and gift shop
- Off-property island excursions
TripAdvisor® Traveler Reviews
My husband and I had a lovely 8 days at Curtain Bluff . I had previously stayed on my own last February for 6 days solo R & R and knew that my husband would love the property and its laid back but...
This was my family's second visit to Curtain Bluff. After our trip last March we couldn't wait to return again. The resort is located on a beautiful bay in Antigua. The staff have worked there...
Return to Curtain Bluff
This was our eighth trip to Curtain Bluff over twenty seven years, our third in a row. This is a reasonably small resort and is very personal. The hotel is defined by its staff who will do anyting...