The Brighton Tennis Camp is aimed at the older teenage player looking to develop their tennis and fitness as well learning more about tennis coaching itself. This new, exciting camp takes place on the courts of the University of Sussex just outside the vibrant sea-side city of Brighton, whose location and weather is ideal for tennis. The campus and sporting facilities are superb.There are 6 hard tennis courts, as well as multiple gyms, sports halls and extensive grounds for football and games.
About Jonathan Markson Tennis
The International Tennis Camp was established in 1981 by British Tennis Coach, Jonathan Markson. Each Easter (1 week) and summer (9 weeks), top professional players and coaches come together to provide an intensive and stimulating tennis experience.
Jonathan Markson Tennis aims to provide to players of all ages and levels a rewarding and enjoyable tennis experience, where the coaching is serious but fun in an environment that is beautiful and relaxing.
The Sport Centre offers the following:
- Two multi-purpose sports halls (for badminton, table tennis, basketball, football etc)
- Fitness room, which is also our indoor group cycling room where we teach a number of classes throughout the week
- Indoor cricket nets
- Four glass-backed championship squash courts
- Dance and martial arts studio
- Therapy room
- Sports injury clinic
- The Sport Centre and the Falmer Sports Complex sell grips, shuttlecocks, squash balls, tennis balls, small towels and other items for general play.
Suffering from stress? Feeling under the weather? Injured? Or just need an energy boost? Then try one of the following treatments at the Sport Centre, all at discounted rates for staff and students.
Beauty Therapy - including natual lift facial massage and swedish/remedial massage
- Chiropractic Clinic
- Sports Massage
- Sports injury clinic
- The sports injury clinic is a soft tissue clinic and is held on a Monday and Wednesday evening in the therapy room located at the Sport Centre.
Appointments can be made with state-registered and fully-qualified physiotherapists. Initial consultations last approximately 30 minutes and further consultations last approximately 20 minutes.
If you have a back or neck injury or problem, then please state this when booking as these require a longer appointment time.
Please note that further back consultations will be charged at the same rate as the physio initial appointment as shown in the table below.
Sussexsport offer a professional racket restringing service for repairs, full restrings, new grommet strips and new grips.
We offer a selection of strings for squash, tennis and badminton rackets from standard synthetic to high-quality Technifibre and Ashaway.
We can also string your racket to the exact specification that you require.
All rackets should be taken to Sport Centre reception.
Falmer Sports Complex
The Falmer Sports Complex offers the following:
- Air-conditioned state-of-the-art fitness room
- Separate free weights room
- Separate strength and conditioning room
- Six hard tennis courts
- Netball court
- Floodlit 60 x 40m 3G pitch*, used for rugby and American football training and can be booked for football as a full or half pitch (x2).
- Floodlit artificial turf pitch (ATP)*. The pitch has the latest sand-dressed technology allowing for performance-enhancing and recreational sport. It can be booked as a third, a half or a full pitch for football or a half or full pitch for hockey with specific markings for each option.
- Grass sports pitches (for cricket, football, rugby etc)
- Artificial cricket wicket
- Disabled facilities
Sussexsport are privileged to have two very different free weight training areas.
Training room 1 - this is the room at the far end of the corridor. In here we have four HD elite half racks, with two of the racks having platform inserts. The equipment in this room allows for people to work on their strength. Dumbbells range from 20-50kg whilst the HD elite half racks have werksan bumper plates (training and competition) as well as werksan Olympic training bars.
Strength and Conditioning room - training room 2
The Strength and Conditioning room was refurbished in summer 2014 and is designed to add a bit more fun and variety to your workout. Installed in the room are three Absolute Performance rigs, which allow you to perform the main lifts (deadlift, bench, squat) as well as attach ropes, TRXs, gym rings and dip attachments to add variety to your workout. The room also has dumbbells ranging from 2-30kg, two dual adjustable pulleys and an assisted chin dip machine. Check the training timetable for use during term time.
Women's fitness sessions
- Women-only fitness room sessions: every Tuesday and Thursday, 3.30pm-4.30pm
- Drop-in women-only fitness room sessions run every Tuesday and Thursday from 3.30pm-4.30pm in the Sport Centrefitness room.
Sessions are free for gold Sussexsport members. Drop-in prices apply for silver, bronze members and non-members.
The sessions will be facilitated by expert instructors and structured around the needs of the group, but may include:
- Body weight
- Full body workout
No need to book, simply turn up ready for a workout!
"My boys most definitely had a whale of a time, formative but great fun on each and every camp attended and I have no hesitation in recommending the valuable service provided to anyone looking for holiday activities." Paulo Bernardes-Silva
Sussexsport offers a year round programme of activities for children up to 16 years of age. Our holiday activities and camps are offered for 7 to 16 year olds and run in each half term, Easter, Summer and Christmas vacations.
Tennis Camp without Accommodation: Local players can join the camp on a non-residential basis (with or without lunch) – signing up for a week of intensive tennis coaching.
CIT (Coach In Training): Programme Exclusively in Brighton, coaching, leadership and group management modules are included in the week to help introduce players to the qualities that will pave the way to personal and career growth. Future JMT coaches should attend this course!
Extras: English Lessons A tennis and language programme is available for International students who want to improve their tennis and their English! Choose from 1 hour (Option A) or 3 hours (Option B) per day.
Extras: Performance Plus An additional tennis training programme available for our players with competition and tournament experience.